Evarts, Kentucky is a small town located in Harlan County. It has a population of approximately 1,000 people. The town is situated in the Appalachian Mountains and is surrounded by hills and forests. It has a moderate climate with temperatures ranging from the mid-70s in the summer to the mid-30s in the winter.
The town was founded back in 1853 by James and Elizabeth Evarts who had settled there after coming from Virginia. The town grew slowly but steadily over the years and soon became an important part of Harlan County’s economy due to its coal mining industry. The coal mining industry eventually declined and this caused an economic downturn for Evarts, but since then it has been able to recover through tourism which has brought much needed revenue into the area.
The politics of Evarts are fairly conservative as it is located in a primarily Republican county. The economy of Evarts is mainly based on tourism and small businesses that are local to the area. There are also some small industries such as logging, farming, and manufacturing that have helped to keep the local economy afloat over time.
Evarts has one school system which consists of two elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. All four schools are part of Harlan County Public Schools which serves students from kindergarten through twelfth grade.
When it comes to landmarks, Evarts is home to many historical sites such as the old coal mines, several churches, cemeteries scattered throughout town, and even some abandoned buildings that were once used for industrial purposes during its heyday as a coal mining hub. There are also several parks located around town that offer scenic views of the surrounding mountainside landscape as well as recreational activities such as hiking trails and fishing spots for visitors to enjoy their time outdoors in nature’s beauty while visiting Evarts Kentucky!
Population: 1,101. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,052 (-4.5% change)
Males: 528 (48.0%), Females: 573 (52.0%)
Zip code: 40828
Median resident age: 35.6 years
Median household income: $17,963
Median house value: $38,300
Races in Evarts:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.6%)
- Black (2.8%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (46.6%), Irish (7.4%), English (7.0%), German (3.4%), French (1.4%), Scottish (1.1%).
Elevation: 1560 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
Evarts, Kentucky is a small town in Harlan County with a population of just over 1,000 people. The median age of the population is 42.2 years, and the median household income sits at $30,872. The cost of living in Evarts is relatively low compared to other towns in the area. Housing costs are very affordable with the median home value being only $71,400 and rentals averaging around $700 per month. Utilities such as electricity and water are also relatively inexpensive compared to other areas. Groceries tend to be slightly more expensive due to the lack of large grocery stores in town. However, there are some smaller local stores that offer competitive prices on food items as well as other necessities such as toiletries and cleaning supplies. The overall cost of living in Evarts is still quite low when compared to other towns in the area making it an attractive option for those looking for an affordable place to live.
For population 25 years and over in Evarts
- High school or higher: 55.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 22.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Evarts city
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 54.9%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 10.9%
- Divorced: 13.2%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +50 (+4.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Evarts:
- HARLAN ARH HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; HARLAN, KY)
- LEE REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 13 miles; PENNINGTON GAP, VA)
- MARY BRECKINRIDGE HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; HYDEN, KY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Evarts:
- TRI-CITIES RGNL TN/VA (about 62 miles; BRISTOL/JOHNSON/KINGSPORT, TN; Abbreviation: TRI)
- MC GHEE TYSON (about 92 miles; KNOXVILLE, TN; Abbreviation: TYS)
- ASHEVILLE REGIONAL (about 109 miles; ASHEVILLE, NC; Abbreviation: AVL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Evarts:
- TUCKER-GUTHRIE MEMORIAL (about 11 miles; HARLAN, KY; Abbreviation: I35)
- LEE COUNTY (about 15 miles; JONESVILLE, VA; Abbreviation: 0VG)
- HAWKINS COUNTY (about 36 miles; ROGERSVILLE, TN; Abbreviation: RVN)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Kentucky graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Evarts:
- WALTERS STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 47 miles; MORRISTOWN, TN; Full-time enrollment: 3,893)
- CARSON-NEWMAN COLLEGE (about 56 miles; JEFFERSON CITY, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,073)
- NORTHEAST STATE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 62 miles; BLOUNTVILLE, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,729)
- EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 69 miles; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Full-time enrollment: 9,498)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE (about 81 miles; KNOXVILLE, TN; Full-time enrollment: 23,333)
- PELLISSIPPI STATE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 81 miles; KNOXVILLE, TN; Full-time enrollment: 5,196)
- MOREHEAD STATE UNIVERSITY (about 93 miles; MOREHEAD, KY; Full-time enrollment: 6,866)
Public high school in Evarts:
- EVARTS HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 394; Location: 1995 WILDCAT DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Evarts:
- EVARTS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 417; Location: 132 KEISTER ST; Grades: KG – 08)