According to COMPUTERMINUS, Roscoe, Texas is a small city located in the northeast corner of the state. It is situated on the banks of the Clear Fork of the Brazos River and is surrounded by rolling hills and grassy plains. The climate in Roscoe is typical for central Texas, with hot summers and mild winters. The history of Roscoe dates back to 1854 when it was founded as a trading post. The town was officially incorporated in 1881, and today it serves as an important center for commerce for the surrounding area. Politically, Roscoe leans conservative with almost all local representatives being Republican.
The economy of Roscoe revolves around agriculture and ranching, although there are some light manufacturing jobs located within the city limits. There are several schools located in Roscoe, including an elementary school, middle school and high school. These schools are highly rated by both parents and students alike for their excellent academic programs and supportive faculty.
For visitors to Roscoe, there are many interesting landmarks to explore such as Historic Downtown Square which features many historic buildings dating back to the 1800s; Fort Belknap which served as a military camp during the Civil War; Old Jail Museum which shows what life was like in a Texas jail in days gone by; Santa Fe Park offering camping, swimming, fishing and boating; Lake Brownwood State Park with its many trails that take you through scenic canyons; Fort Phantom Hill which offers panoramic views of Abilene; Pioneer Museum which showcases artifacts from early settlers of West Texas; Cisco College offering educational opportunities to locals and visitors alike; Monarch Theater showing classic films from yesteryear; and finally the world-famous Longhorn Cattle Drive Monument honoring cowboys who drove cattle up from South Texas over 100 years ago. All these landmarks provide an interesting glimpse into Roscoe’s past that will be sure to delight any visitor!
Population: 1,378. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,273 (-7.6% change)
Males: 652 (47.3%), Females: 726 (52.7%)
Zip code: 79545
Median resident age: 38.3 years
Median household income: $23,816
Median house value: $31,900
Races in Roscoe:
- White Non-Hispanic (60.9%)
- Hispanic (36.9%)
- Other race (20.2%)
- Two or more races (3.0%)
- Black (1.1%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Irish (12.3%), United States (8.4%), English (7.5%), German (5.3%), Scotch-Irish (3.4%), French (2.1%).
Elevation: 2386 feet
Land area: 1.9 square miles
Roscoe, Texas is a small town located in the heart of West Texas. It has a population of 2,700 people and is primarily an agricultural community. The economy of Roscoe is largely based on farming and ranching, with some light industry. The town is situated in a dry climate and experiences hot summers and cold winters. The local economy relies heavily on the oil and gas industry to support its residents.
The majority of Roscoe’s population is composed of White Americans (86%), followed by African Americans (7%), Hispanics (5%) and Asian Americans (2%). The median household income in Roscoe is $45,000 annually, with nearly 15% living below the poverty line. Education levels are slightly above average for the state; with 94% of adults over 25 having at least a high school diploma, while 28% have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher.
The majority of the population identifies as Christian (83%), followed by Non-Christian faiths such as Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism (14%). Additionally, there are several churches located throughout town that serve all denominations. Roscoe also has an active community center which offers a variety of services such as after-school programs, senior activities and recreation programs for children. There are also numerous parks in the area that provide outdoor recreation opportunities for residents to enjoy year round.
For population 25 years and over in Roscoe
- High school or higher: 64.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 7.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Roscoe city
- Never married: 18.8%
- Now married: 62.0%
- Separated: 2.6%
- Widowed: 8.1%
- Divorced: 8.5%
8.6% Foreign born (8.3% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -53 (-3.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Roscoe:
- ROLLING PLAINS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; SWEETWATER, TX)
- MITCHELL COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; COLORADO CITY, TX)
- FISHER COUNTY HOSPITAL DISTRICT (about 30 miles; ROTAN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Roscoe:
- DYESS AFB (about 48 miles; ABILENE, TX; Abbreviation: DYS)
- ABILENE REGIONAL (about 61 miles; ABILENE, TX; Abbreviation: ABI)
- SAN ANGELO REGIONAL/MATHIS FIELD (about 76 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX; Abbreviation: SJT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Roscoe:
- AVENGER FIELD (about 7 miles; SWEETWATER, TX; Abbreviation: SWW)
- COLORADO CITY (about 27 miles; COLORADO CITY, TX; Abbreviation: T88)
- FISHER COUNTY (about 28 miles; ROTAN/ROBY, TX; Abbreviation: 56F)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Roscoe:
- HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; Abilene, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,026)
- ABILENE CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY (about 58 miles; ABILENE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,380)
- ANGELO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 73 miles; SAN ANGELO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,477)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 111 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 120 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- ODESSA COLLEGE (about 139 miles; ODESSA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,555)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 146 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
Public high schools in Roscoe:
- ROSCOE H S (Students: 180; Location: 1101 W 7TH ST; Grades: 07 – 12)
- HOBBS ALTER ED CO-OP (Students: 5; Location: 1101 W 7TH ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Roscoe:
- HIGHLAND SCHOOL (Students: 211; Location: 6625 F M 608; Grades: PK – 12)
- ROSCOE EL (Students: 178; Location: 1101 W 7TH ST; Grades: PK – 06)